[OpenWrt-Devel] SVN to GIT transition

Attila Lendvai attila at lendvai.name
Sat Oct 10 17:08:33 EDT 2015

> There is a big problem with git, which is identifying what OpenWrt
> release your image is based off. With subversion, it is fairly easy,
> you have a revision number that keeps incrementing. With git, asking
> people to give you their git-describe output might be a little harder.
> On the plus side, we would know if someone had tampered with the
> sources (-dirty), but we would not be able to track down changes
> easily if someone just created branches and added patches there, since
> these would be objects and references that are not accessible.

not sure if it solves everything, but there's this:

https://github.com/sbcl/sbcl/blob/master/generate-version.sh

given a disciplined tagging strategy, it extracts a version, which
branch, and how many extra patches it has, and the end of the hash.

an example: 1.2.15.6.branch-name.5-995ba66

--
• attila lendvai
• PGP: 963F 5D5F 45C7 DFCD 0A39