[OpenWrt-Devel] SVN to GIT transition

Florian Fainelli florian at openwrt.org
Sat Oct 10 14:55:02 EDT 2015

> On Sat, 10 Oct 2015 00:41:24 +0300, Roman Yeryomin <leroi.lists at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> On 9 October 2015 at 21:22, Jo-Philipp Wich <jow at openwrt.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi.

>>> Why does the core system need to migrate from svn to git?
>>>

>> I thought everybody is using git anyway already. Are there people
>> still using svn?
>

> doing something because everybody is doing so is not the best argument IMHO.
>
> I would say that using git would improve quite a few things:
>
> * it would be easier to send upstream patches

I do not think it would make anything easier on that front, unless we
start putting existing git-managed projects as submodules of the
top-level openwrt.git repository, this could become fairly cumbersome
to maintain.

> * having a good git web interface like gitlab or github would allow
> newcomers to participate more easily

Fair enough, but then again, considering OpenWrt's development model,
the mailing-list should be good enough to get a grasp at what changes
are submitted/reviewed/commented on, no?

> * it would make life easier to the core contributors that prefer to work
> with git because git allows a very powerful development workflow compared to
> SVN

git-svn is kind of the best of both worlds right now.

There is a big problem with git, which is identifying what OpenWrt
release your image is based off. With subversion, it is fairly easy,
you have a revision number that keeps incrementing. With git, asking
people to give you their git-describe output might be a little harder.
On the plus side, we would know if someone had tampered with the
sources (-dirty), but we would not be able to track down changes
easily if someone just created branches and added patches there, since
these would be objects and references that are not accessible.
--
Florian