[OpenWrt-Devel] lantiq DSL drivers / firmware info

Johannes Berg johannes at sipsolutions.net
Mon May 4 15:13:58 EDT 2015

On Mon, 2015-05-04 at 21:00 +0200, Martin Blumenstingl wrote:

> Like I previously said: there's probably something wrong at my end.
> I have the Annex A version of the TD-W8970 and I am trying to use it with
> my Annex B ADSL connection (for the record: I am not using a splitter).
> While trying to connect the dsl_cpe_control tool reports:
> "Wrong combination of DSL PHY Firmware and hybrid type used! Please
> change one of it."

I've never seen that, but which firmware are you using?

I'd been using the speedport 1.21
(e1ef690e8dc0075468d4b6ba7bcdd0fc710bc671) one IIRC.

> So either my configuration is still incorrect or the modem is somehow
> (probably a hardware configuration, maybe via a resistor) configured to
> enforce a different hybrid or Annex type (this is pure speculation though).

Are you on VDSL Annex B, where you'd fall back to ADSL 16/1 when
vectoring isn't supported? If so, this configuration should work:

config vdsl 'dsl'
        option annex 'b'
        option firmware '/lib/firmware/vdsl.bin'
        option tone 'b'
        option xfer_mode 'ptm'

(actually I think you can/should remove the "annex" line)

On my previous ISP I was on Annex A, but I don't have the right
configuration right now.

> > Note that the system seems to be too slow for 100 Mbps though, so this
> > is somewhat academic, it can't do 100 Mbps NAT in my tests. I'm probably
> > going to replace it with something faster and leave VDSL to a separate
> > modem.
> I am interested in your test results, even though it's purely academic :-).

First I'm going to replace this router with one that's faster, and then
I'll start playing with this :-) Right now I need it to have internet
connectivity.

> Someone else has tested the new driver in the meantime (using Annex A,
> no VDSL): [0]
> It seems that the modem syncs and is even able to connect (as far as I
> understand with some manual steps), but after a few minutes the connection
> drops.

Interesting. I don't think I ever saw any connection dropouts ever.
OTOH, I occasionally had the whole system spontaneously wedge itself and
require a power cycle, so ...

johannes