[OpenWrt-Devel] lantiq DSL drivers / firmware info

Sylwester Petela sscapi at gmail.com
Sat Jun 6 09:23:07 EDT 2015

W dniu 2015-06-06 o 14:18, Aleksander Wałęski pisze:
> Interesting. Have you made a note of which parameter made such a
> difference? I guess disabling ReTx could potentially cause lower sync
> speeds because DSLAM needs to compensate for lack of retransmissions.
> It may be enabled/disabled in autoboot script as it is in latest
> TP-LINK firmware.
> Vectroring needs firmware to have it enabled, but its VDSL2-only
> feature anyway so it shouldn't cause issues for you. Bonding does not
> seem to be supported by the driver (yet).
>
> Router's performance change with time worries me a bit. Are you sure
> it is DSL part that is slowing it down? I have 9 days uptime at this
> point and have not noticed any slowdowns yet.

As for speed, yes only DSL is affected. LAN -> WLAN and overall (USB/3G)
performance is same, bit higher CPU usage but cannot trace it by top,
ram a bit but that because driver is bit bigger.

ReTx on ADSL isn't used so I don't know if driver tries to do something
that it can't do.

What intriges me is that only two options (except low-level init) are
different VDSL / ADSL related in init scripts delivered with original
driver package:

          if [ "$wanphy_phymode" = "0" -o "$wanphy_phymode" = "3" ]; then
             # If BitSwap is disabled, or Retransmission is enabled
             # then set the DSL Parameters accordingly
             if [ "$BS_ENA" != "1" ]; then
                dir="0 1"
                for j in $dir ; do
                   LFCG_VALS=`${BIN_DIR}/dsl_cpe_pipe.sh lfcg $j`
                   if [ "$?" = "0" ]; then
                      for i in $LFCG_VALS; do eval $i 2>/dev/null; done
                      ${BIN_DIR}/dsl_cpe_pipe.sh lfcs $nDirection \
                         $bTrellisEnable $BS_ENA $RETX_ENA
$bVirtualNoiseSupport \
                         $b20BitSupport >/dev/null
                   else
                      if [ "$j" = "0" ]; then
                         ${BIN_DIR}/dsl_cpe_pipe.sh lfcs $j 1 $BS_ENA
$RETX_ENA \
                            0 -1 >/dev/null
                      else
                         ${BIN_DIR}/dsl_cpe_pipe.sh lfcs $j 1 $BS_ENA
$RETX_ENA \
                            0 0 >/dev/null
                      fi
                   fi
                done

After 9 days and bit of performance drop I reverted back to stripped out
init script and also lowered debug level to default so I can track what
is causing these issues.