[OpenWrt-Devel] lantiq DSL drivers / firmware info

Aleksander Wałęski olewales at gmail.com
Mon Jun 1 19:54:01 EDT 2015

Thanks for answer. I cannot unfortunately test new patch right away,
because I sort of put this device "in production" but if it is only
compilation flags that changed that I am sure it works. I suspected
some kind of memory leak, because driver control process is quite
heavy on memory but it does not seem to grow any larger than about 7MB
(4 days uptime, steady size for at least 2 days).

As for firmware: you got me interested when you mentioned Annex B. I
was sure that W9980 was multi-annex and that its firmware should
support this, but I was wrong. TD-W9980B seems to be made to address
this. There isn't very much information on it on TP-LINK website, but
I was able to google it
http://www.tplink.com/be/products/details/?model=TD-W9980B (Belgian
section, but website is in English). There is firmware update
available for it, but strangely, only on German website
http://www.tp-link.de/support/download/?model=TD-W9980B&version=V1
Extraction procedure is exactly the same as for regular TD-W9980.
Details of firmware file inside:

filename: xcpe_573E16_571502_ISDN.bin
version: 5.7.3.E.1.6-5.7.1.5.0.2
sha1sum: 83c2b3d7e980d4f20e85ba3e9d6f557752006ec9
filesize: 904516
Firmware1:
        PLATFORM: 5
        PLATFORM_STR: VRX200
        APPLICATION_TYPE: 6
        APPLICATION_TYPE_STR: VDSL over IDSN
        VERSION_STR: 7.3.E
        RELEASE_STATUS: 1
        RELEASE_STATUS_STR: Pre-Release
Firmware2:
        PLATFORM: 5
        PLATFORM_STR: VRX200
        APPLICATION_TYPE: 2
        APPLICATION_TYPE_STR: ADSL Annex B
        VERSION_STR: 7.1.5
        RELEASE_STATUS: 0
        RELEASE_STATUS_STR: Release

Difference between this and 186b5406e6511c97d997b48f5e0ec5ad3f62600d
seem to be Vectoring support for VDSL (ADSL firmware version number is
the same). I was expecting only Annex difference, but this firmware
may be specifically tweaked for Germany ("# for DT/Germany market" in
vdsl.scr). I guess ADSL over ISDN is not very popular elsewhere.