[OpenWrt-Devel] netifd + split dns servers

Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos n.mavrogiannopoulos at gmail.com
Fri Jan 9 04:40:56 EST 2015

On Fri, Jan 9, 2015 at 9:48 AM, Hans Dedecker <dedeckeh at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 8, 2015 at 5:43 PM, Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos
> <n.mavrogiannopoulos at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Currently a protocol can register a dns server with netifd using the
>> proto_add_dns_server function. That however, does not allow
>> registering a DNS server for a specific domain. I checked the netifd
>> code and there is no provision for that. Would it make sense to add
>> such functionality to netifd, or should I make openconnect directly
>> register its split-dns servers with dnsmasq?
> Netifd writes the dns servers in /tmp/resolv.conf.auto which are read
> by dnsmasq.
> However I don't see a way to pass DNS servers for a specific domain
> via the resolv.conf.auto file to dnsmasq unless changes are done in
> dnsmasq.
> If such functionality needs to be supported; the changes will not only
> be limited to netifd.
> And netifd rewriting dnsmasq.conf seems a bit hacky too me

The resolv.conf format is very limited, if you rely on it you can only register
global dns servers, and that's all. With dnsmasq, to support split-dns you need
to configure a config directory for dnsmasq, and then place files in
it that contain
with the following format:
server=/domain/address.ip

regards,