[OpenWrt-Devel] General questions about the direction of switch drivers

David Lang david at lang.hm
Mon Feb 16 17:14:59 EST 2015

On Mon, 16 Feb 2015, Michael Richardson wrote:

> I have stumbed my toe on 3800 with trying to build tagged switch ports where
> I have a few ports with explicit VLAN tagging, joined together in the switch,
> and also exposed to the host.  I think it should work, but I mostly just wound
> up screwing up my CPU port.  I have some 3800 with serial consoles now so I
> should try this out.

I've been using tagged and untagged switch ports on the 3800 for a few years now
(I use them for the Scale conference and we have a rather complex wired
infrastructure), the only problem I ran into was the issue of the ports being
numbered backwards on the outside of the box.

For the conference, I use one port on the switch as my WAN port (trunked) and
then configure the other three ports to specific VLANs. I configure the 'wan'
port to be trunked as well, but generally only end up using it to daisy-chain
another AP off of.

David Lang