[OpenWrt-Devel] Recommended settings ip6 DNS server / dnsmasq

Jean-Michel Pouré - GOOZE jmpoure at gooze.eu
Mon Aug 17 12:53:57 EDT 2015

Dear Steven,

Thank you for answering.

> I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish. If you are connecting
> a router with a default
> OpenWrt image with default configuration to an ISP or IPv6 router
> which offers prefix delegation,
> everything works out of the box including client configuration. You
> don't need to touch a single
> config file.

Prefix delegation works only with a freebox model v6 or Android with
NextHop support. This is probably a limitation on the ISP side.

> OpenWrt serves stateless and stateful addresses to clients by
> default, the combination of
> option duid and option hostid should also work to change the hostid
> (I'm using it right now).

We tested with success :
* manual IPv6 settings,
* stateless delegation.

Stateful IPV6 delegation does not work.

> So could you please explain what is special about the freebox as an
> uplink (sorry I don't
> speak french so I can't decode your wiki page)?

I published the setting here, no need to speak French:
http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/freebox#configuration_des_clients_ipv
6

Could you tell us more about the setting for stateful delegation? I
would like use the less intrusive settings, including a stock OpenWRT
with no additional package. How can this be done?

How do you set duid and option hostid ? It is unclear which version of
DNSmasq to use, Should we use two configurations config host: one for
ipv4 and one for ipv6.

Here are my settings:

config dnsmasq
        option domainneeded '0'
        option boguspriv '1'
        option localise_queries '1'
        option rebind_protection '1'
        option rebind_localhost '1'
        option local '/lan/'
        option domain 'lan'
        option expandhosts '1'
        option authoritative '1'
        option readethers '1'
        option leasefile '/tmp/dhcp.leases'
        option resolvfile '/tmp/resolv.conf.auto'
        option localservice '1'

config dhcp 'lan'
        option interface 'lan'
        option start '100'
        option limit '150'
        option leasetime '12h'
        option ra 'server'
        option dhcpv6 'server'

config dhcp 'wan'
        option interface 'wan'
        option ignore '1'

config odhcpd 'odhcpd'
        option maindhcp '0'
        option leasefile '/tmp/hosts/odhcpd'
        option leasetrigger '/usr/sbin/odhcpd-update'

config host
        option name 'sony-vaio'
        option ip '192.168.1.xxx'
        option mac '54:42:49:xx:xx:xx'

#config host
#        option name 'sony-vaio'
#        option ip '2a01:e35:87d8:xxxx::3'
#        option duid '0004901071a15f278795aa0dd83bde8b250xxxxxxxxx'
#        option hostid '00000003'

It could be nice if there was official documentation about stateful
adressing  on the WIKI here:
http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/uci/network

Kind regards,
Gnutella