[OpenWrt-Devel] couple questions about downloading for a new build

Yousong Zhou yszhou4tech at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 08:51:40 EDT 2014

On 11 September 2014 20:30, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday at crashcourse.ca> wrote:

>   first, i created a local mirror with all the tarballs i downloaded
> during an earlier build, and configured a new build to use that, and i
> noticed that the download operation *copied* over the tarballs into
> the dl/ directory. is there any reason that symlinks aren't used,
> rather than doing actual copies? wouldn't symlinks work just as well?

I take mirrors as places where the build system will try to fetch
those tarballs, into CONFIG_DOWNLOAD_FOLDER which defaults to
$(TOPDIR)/dl/ which in my local tree is a symbolic link to the
actually directory holding those tarballs.  It works quite well.

>   also, i wondered if building the host tools would take advantage of
> already-installed host tools that match the exact version that openwrt
> needs. in my new build, the version of "patch" required is ostensibly
> 2.7.1, which is precisely the version already installed on my host,
> but it appears the patch-2.7.1.tar.xz tarball was still copied (from
> the local mirror, admittedly) into the dl/ directory.

IMHO, for a build system complex like OpenWrt, it's better to be
self-contained and do things in a more predictable/controlled way.

>   i haven't followed the Makefile structures far enough yet to see
> what should happen, but a comment in tools/Makefile reads:
>
> # in case there is no patch tool on the host we need to make patch tool a
> # dependency for tools which have patches directory
>
> which *seems* to suggest that the build will look for patch already
> installed on the host and take advantage of it if it's there.

No, it tries to handle the case that some host tools needs to be
patched (having patches/ directory) before getting compiled in which
case those tools/XXX/compile needs to have a dependence on
tools/patch/install.

Regards.

               yousong