[OpenWrt-Devel] How to rebuild exactly 12.09 from source?

Chirag Chhatriwala cchhat01 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 21 15:59:19 EDT 2014

I generally try to do the following:

1. perform a git clone on the branch or trunk.
2. perform "git log --grep="<svn_id>", grab the hashtag or commit id and
note the date and time of that checkin and perform a "git checkout <commit
id>", this will create a detached HEAD and will leave you at the <commit
it> and nothing after it.
3. if you are going to add feeds, you need to do something similar for the
feeds as well.. I.E. create a folder named "feeds" under your source and
checkout your feeds (most likely git based now).
4. for each feeds you checked out, perform a "git log
--before="YYYY-MM-DDThh:mm:ss+Zone" format
5. grab the latest commit id and perform a "git checkout <feed commit id>"
(for each feed checked out)

This way you know that everything you are building is roughly the same age
as the latest svn commit that  you're trying to replicate. You may end up
missing a commit or two but you will be fairly close to building the
version you want. Its not exact science but it is close enough. Otherwise
you may end up checking out an old version of openwrt, but have it built
against the latest pacakges/luci/routing/telephony feeds and things may
(most likely will) break.

It used to be easier when everything was svn based and you could just
specify the svn id in your feeds in the format svn://feed.location@<svn_ID>.
Things change so we adapt.

Hope this helps. Let me know if this is not clear.

Chirag