[OpenWrt-Devel] Mips Creator CI20 OpenWRT support.

John Crispin blogic at openwrt.org
Wed Dec 10 05:54:06 EST 2014

On 10/12/2014 11:46, José Vázquez wrote:
> I've been working to add support for the CI20 to openwrt and,
> despite some problems I'm unable to fix, the board works stable
> with openwrt (more or less). :(
> https://github.com/Pteridium/OpenWRT-CI20 Here is a bootlog:
> http://pastebin.com/stM6Wfgz
>
> As someone pointed the JZ4780 is not a very good SoC (even he said
> CI20 is crap), but it performs better than I initially expected,
> specially in few areas. Of course it haven't the performance of
> PowerPC, Marvell or IPQ806X.
>
> IMHO some drivers are not enough good and need to be improved (few
> of them a lot, like irq), but as some of you know I haven't the
> skills to make it.
>
> Any advice will be very welcome.

assuming that mips sells this as the reference mips platform it is
quite funny that there is no real linux support.

i think you should ping imgtec about this and ask them what their
roadmap is for giving real support for the hw. i know from imgtec that
they used this pcb as it was the only one they could readily source at
3-4k volume. its sort of the wrong way to select hardware. the result
is what we see today. no drivers no real support and horrible network
performance.

btw, i pointed out that the pcb is crap not the SoC. please be precise
when quoting me

	John

> Regards:
>
> Pepe

> <Zubair.Kakakhel at imgtec.com>:
>> Hi Jose,
>>
>> On 25/11/14 20:44, José Vázquez wrote:
>>> Few weeks ago i've received a Mips CI20 and began to port it
>>> to openwrt using kernel 3.18-rc4. For now only few peripherals
>>> work "fine" but is more than i initially expected.
>>> https://github.com/Pteridium/OpenWRT-experimental/blob/ci20-alpha/README.md

Still there are a lot of peripherals to be included, but for initial
>>> tests is enough for me.
>>>
>>> The cpu performance is a bit disappointing if is taken in mind
>>> that runs at 1'2GHz and the ethernet tests with iperf showed
>>> <80Mb/s with one thread and <65 with 100. Compiling without
>>> generic patches 132-mips_inline_dma_ops, 259-regmap_dynamic,
>>> 305-mips_module_reloc, 306-mips_mem_functions_performance and
>>> 309-mips_fuse_workaround I were able to enable msc1 and test
>>> brcmfmac, but no success: the driver recognizes the bcm4330 but
>>> it is unable to configure it correctly.
>>>

>> I've traced this all the way back to the dma driver :)
>>
>> For a working tree with wifi check out
>>
>> https://github.com/ZubairLK/CI20_linux/tree/wip-ci20-v3.16-wifi-bt

Now i'm working to add the remaining drivers that work with kernel