[VOTE] Switch 'master' to 'main' branch for repositories

Ansuel Smith ansuelsmth at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 12:10:43 PST 2023

> Hi all,
>
> More and more projects are switching their repositories to use the
> 'main' branch instead of the 'master' branch. This also includes many
> Linux upstream trees as well. Some trees are even removing their
> 'master' branches already.
>
> I think this is becoming more and more mainstream and expected of
> projects, so we should do the same.
>
> I would like to propose the following:
>
> 1. Change the git server side to automatically update the 'master'
> branch, whenever an update is pushed to 'main'.
> It's important to have a long transition period in order to avoid
> breaking downstream users' workflows.
>
> 2. Change the git server side to refuse a push to 'master' if 'main'
> exists. This avoid accidental branch divergence
>
> 3. Developers simply change their git configs to always push to 'main'
>
> Once this change is well established, we can look into removing
> 'master', but we should definitely take our time with that.

Neutral on this.

My 2 cent about the topic. Yes it is a political thing and almost agree with
Imre. Slavery and other really bad things are not quoted by simple words,
but by facts and history. Sorry for the bad example but it would be similar
to use the term ovens and refer to the tremendous things happen in the WW2.
So with this reason we should bans each term related to that? I don't feel
that is the correct solution to make people aware of the problem and react on
that. (slavery is still a thing in some places, the word ban changed nothing...)

But this is more of a social problem with choosing the easy way instead of a
correct solution.

Problem is that this is the world we are living in and changing the name would
cost us nothing. And we would only gain some benefits of clearly saying that
we are against that kind of thing...

(btw just to notice many linux repo and branch are still with the master
naming... so the idea of following what others did is not that valuable...
the change was done at times when some people not related to development
discovered that code was full of """bad""" words and some article news were
made. After that I feel like everyone totally forgot it was a thing...
Just to stress
how  all of this complain was based on nothing then clickbait articles and
chaos)

If we reach a situation where this is accepted we need to make a list of all the
things to change just to not miss some.