[VOTE] Switch 'master' to 'main' branch for repositories

Felix Fietkau nbd at nbd.name
Mon Feb 27 07:04:32 PST 2023

On 27.02.23 15:44, Imre Kaloz wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Feb 2023, Daniel Golle wrote:
>> If you create a new project in git today, it will use 'main' as the
>> main branch by default unless it is told to do otherwise.
>> Git documentation and guidelines reflect that. Github also does that.
>> And basically all major tech companies decided to do the same.
>
> As far as I know, OpenWrt will be 20 in less than 8 months and not a
> single soul prevented anyone from using whatever branch name for the newly
> created components in their own repositories.
IMHO I did respect that part in my proposal. That's why I wrote:
"refuse a push to 'master' if 'main' exists".

If nobody pushes a 'main' branch to a particular repository, the
'master' branch can be used in the same way as before.
If a 'main' branch is added, we should prevent pushing something else to
'master' in order to avoid confusion.

If you want to keep using 'master' for your staging tree or components
that you maintain, there is nothing in my proposal that would prevent
you from doing so.

- Felix