[VOTE] Use GitHub issues instead of bugs.openwrt.org

Baptiste Jonglez baptiste at bitsofnetworks.org
Wed Feb 9 00:24:42 PST 2022

Hi,

On 19-01-22, Paul Spooren wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> As discussed during yesterdays meeting, we want to shut down bugs.openwrt.org and provide a static HTML dump only. Issues on GitHub would be enabled for the openwrt/openwrt repository.
>
> A migration of existing issues is not planed, instead new issues should be created. The static HTML dump will no longer support searching, however search engines were found to be the entry to bugs.openwrt.org anyway.
>

> Please vote:

[X] No, please find another solution

In my opinion, here are some reasons against moving issues to github:

- there are ongoing discussions about moving the whole development process
  to another managed service.  Let's not deal with two migrations in a row.

- github will have the same "tool fragmentation" issues than the current
  bug tracker: it will not be linked to mailing list discussions or
  patchwork.

- github is ethically and practically a problem.

Reasons in favour of moving issues to github:

- we don't want to keep maintaining yet another service ourselves

- it's a pragmatic choice

I am not very active in the project at the moment, but I did spend a fair
amount of time triaging bugs in the current bug tracker, and I am well
aware of its limitations.  So I do hope we find a solution.

Baptiste