[RFC] Introduce inactive member status

Daniel Golle daniel at makrotopia.org
Thu Oct 21 04:35:53 PDT 2021

Hi everyone,

as discussed in the previous developer meeting on 19th of October
we need to find ways to improve our voting mechanics. It has became
increasingly difficult to on-board new members as this currently
requires a majority of all current members to be in favor of accepting
the new member[1].

As a result of that discussion I'd like to suggest an inactive member
status:
 * Members can voluntarily change to inavtice member status
 * Inactive members (temporarily) give up their voting rights
 * If an inactive member wants to get active again they can change the
   status without a vote

This would allow us to stay responsive enough and more easily reach
an absolute majority of **active** members.
On the other hand, project members who (temporarily or permantenly)
have become inactive in the project would have the opportunity to
still be listed in the wiki as members and easily regain their voting
rights should they again become active.

An other options to improve or resolve this problem would be to change
the rules and instead of requiring an absolute majority of all members
require only a relative majority and limit the amount of time members
got to vote.

My understanding is that both possible changes (introduction of a
passive member status as well as changing of the voting modalities
when it comes to new members) would require an absolute 2/3rd majority
among the existing members.

As only 9 members have participated in this months meeting, we'd like to
hear more/other opinions on that topic and we should collect and
formalzie all suggestions and start a vote the the most promissing
option as soon as possible.

Thank you!

Daniel

[1]: https://openwrt.org/rules