A new 'main" branch with different history than 'master' ????

Paul Spooren mail at aparcar.org
Sun Feb 28 04:21:44 EST 2021

Hi,

On Sun, Feb 28, 2021 at 09:24, Hannu Nyman <hannu.nyman at iki.fi> wrote:
> I just noticed that the main OpenWrt repo has now a new "main "
> branch in addition to "master", and that those branches have a
> different commit history.
>

> The last common commit is
> 464451d9ab kernel: no chacha-mips.ko on mips32 r1 targets
>
> The new 'main' has then this by dgolle:
> 620fff9838 tools: add cpio
>
> while the normal 'master' continues with this committed by Adrian:
> 598de0f41c kernel: move some new symbols available on 5.10 to generic
>

> If there is some intentional movement from master to main, it should
> be communicated and coordinated. But I do not remember seeing any
> such announcement. Is something like that in the air?

I assume this was an accident. The default branch is still `master` and
therefore whoever pulls openwrt.git uses this version. If possible
please force push `main` to be the same as `master`. After that we
could add a mirror script which copies `master` to `main` on each push,
allowing us to migrate buildbots.

Saying this, I assume everyone is in favor to migrate from master to
main. If there are other opinions on that, I'll start a vote. In that
case I'd delete the `main` branch until we voted.

Best,
Paul