Standard meta JSON files available at downloads.openwrt.org [Was: Re: Firmware Selector Setup]

Petr Štetiar ynezz at true.cz
Thu Aug 20 04:15:06 EDT 2020

Moritz Warning <moritzwarning at web.de> [2020-08-19 17:17:05]:

> >    * are we going to generate separate JSON for every application out there?
> >      - I mean, wouldn't it make sense to generate something generic, something like:
> >
> >        meta/json/targets-full-v1.json (complete amalgamation of profiles.json)
> >        meta/json/targets-minimal-v1.json (just the bare minimum)
> >        meta/json/targets-images-v1.json (just the images)
>
> Do you argue that OpenWrt should generate these files?

Yes, instead of having to generate and maintain several different JSON formats
for different applications, lets think about it and try to provide some subset
which might cover most of the possible usecases.

>  I argue that OpenWrt should generate the raw data (albeit machine readable)
>  as json files.

It does, but as you can see, it's barely usable as people still need to scrape
all targets directories in snapshot/releases for `profile.json` instead of
getting complete `targets-full-v1.json` directly in one HTTP call.

-- ynezz