[LEDE-DEV] 18.06 Status?

John Crispin john at phrozen.org
Sat May 5 13:57:21 EDT 2018

On 05/05/18 12:27, Jaap Buurman wrote:
> Hi all,
> I feel like everybody is just waiting for everybody to agree what
> features we want in before coming up with the next step of picking a
> date. Obviously this isn't working out very well. Why not turn things
> around? Pick a date in a few weeks time on which the Master branch
> will be split to a 18.0X branch. If nobody complains before that date
> the branch goes on as planned. People can obviously get in the
> features they want before said date. If somebody deems a particular
> feature very important to be included in this branch, but feels like
> it will not be finished before said date, he/she can request a delay
> stating:
> -What he/she would like to include
> -Why this is so important to be included before the branch.
> -How much extra time this will need by proposing a new date
> -Perhaps a request for help implementing said change
> Should this proposal be accepted, we will reschedule the date from
> there. If the other people don't think it is important enough to
> postpone the release, the old date will stand. This way, we can simply
> move forward if nobody complains about a particular date instead of
> the waiting around for others that is going on right now. What does
> everybody else think of this idea? What seems like a reasonable date?
> And who would be willing to take on the task of splitting the branch
> at said date to make sure we'll be actually moving forward with the
> plan at said date?
> Yours sincerely,
> Jaap Buurman
> On Wed, May 2, 2018 at 4:41 AM, Eric Luehrsen <ericluehrsen at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 05/01/2018 10:47 AM, Hannu Nyman wrote:
>>> I think that the main source tree is in pretty good shape, so branching
>>> off the 18.0X rather soon might make sense....
>> I would also think its time to branch 18.[something-soon], and rather than
>> focus on work that needs yet to be completed, look to cut hardware and
>> packages that are not ready for a release. There is always some heart ache
>> when such decisions are made, but at a point those decisions do need to be
>> made. Without an official release to punctuate both the core team and other
>> packagers hard work, OpenWrt/LEDE could risk losing support from the
>> community and its limited sponsorship. I imagine this project means
>> something personally to the core team, so those risks should be considered.
>> - Eric
>> _______________________________________________
>> lede-adm mailing list
>> lede-adm at lists.infradead.org
>> http://lists.infradead.org/mailman/listinfo/lede-adm
> _______________________________________________
> Lede-dev mailing list
> Lede-dev at lists.infradead.org
> http://lists.infradead.org/mailman/listinfo/lede-dev

we agreed already to branch on friday but delayed it till start of the 
week as we ran out of time before calling it a day.

More information about the openwrt-adm mailing list