[LEDE-DEV] 18.06 Status?

Jaap Buurman jaapbuurman at gmail.com
Sat May 5 06:27:15 EDT 2018

Hi all,

I feel like everybody is just waiting for everybody to agree what
features we want in before coming up with the next step of picking a
date. Obviously this isn't working out very well. Why not turn things
around? Pick a date in a few weeks time on which the Master branch
will be split to a 18.0X branch. If nobody complains before that date
the branch goes on as planned. People can obviously get in the
features they want before said date. If somebody deems a particular
feature very important to be included in this branch, but feels like
it will not be finished before said date, he/she can request a delay

-What he/she would like to include
-Why this is so important to be included before the branch.
-How much extra time this will need by proposing a new date
-Perhaps a request for help implementing said change

Should this proposal be accepted, we will reschedule the date from
there. If the other people don't think it is important enough to
postpone the release, the old date will stand. This way, we can simply
move forward if nobody complains about a particular date instead of
the waiting around for others that is going on right now. What does
everybody else think of this idea? What seems like a reasonable date?
And who would be willing to take on the task of splitting the branch
at said date to make sure we'll be actually moving forward with the
plan at said date?

Yours sincerely,

Jaap Buurman

On Wed, May 2, 2018 at 4:41 AM, Eric Luehrsen <ericluehrsen at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 05/01/2018 10:47 AM, Hannu Nyman wrote:
>> I think that the main source tree is in pretty good shape, so branching
>> off the 18.0X rather soon might make sense....
> I would also think its time to branch 18.[something-soon], and rather than
> focus on work that needs yet to be completed, look to cut hardware and
> packages that are not ready for a release. There is always some heart ache
> when such decisions are made, but at a point those decisions do need to be
> made. Without an official release to punctuate both the core team and other
> packagers hard work, OpenWrt/LEDE could risk losing support from the
> community and its limited sponsorship. I imagine this project means
> something personally to the core team, so those risks should be considered.
> - Eric
> _______________________________________________
> lede-adm mailing list
> lede-adm at lists.infradead.org
> http://lists.infradead.org/mailman/listinfo/lede-adm

More information about the openwrt-adm mailing list