openwrt and lede - remerge proposal

Matthias Schiffer mschiffer at universe-factory.net
Thu May 11 04:30:12 EDT 2017

On 05/11/2017 12:17 AM, Hauke Mehrtens wrote:
> Thanks for moving this forward.
>
> On 05/08/2017 03:19 PM, John Crispin wrote:
>> *) github
>>
>> - obsolete the lede github org after a grace period of 3-6 months
>
> As long as it does not cost us effort I would like to keep the lede
> domains and github project up running for longer.

This one is a bit tricky. On the one hand, people are referencing our
Github repositories in their scripts and dependent projects, so we should
keep it around at least for a while; on the other hand, Github doesn't
allow disabling PRs (AFAIK), so deleting the project would give developers
a clear signal where to contribute.

>> *) landing page
>> - update the lede landing page to represent the openwrt name
>> - update the landing page to have the same look & feel as the current
>> openwrt landing page
>> - point openwrt.org at the lede landing page
>
> I prefer the LEDE design, but with the news like content on the OpenWrt
> page, but I do not really care and will not block the merge about this.
> Is someone volunteering to prepare a design which also fulfills Imre's
> requirements, I am also asking the non LEDE committers and non OpenWrt
> core developers? I am not good at this. ;-)

I realize this is bikeshedding, but I also very much prefer the LEDE
design, it looks much more modern. In particular:
- everything with a lot of text has a white background; generally colors
are used sparingly
- thin grey borders instead of thick black ones

The OpenWrt forum design looks a bit better than the landing page, but it
still feels too heavy due to the colored backgrounds.

Matthias