[LEDE-DEV] Release planning

Matthias Schiffer mschiffer at universe-factory.net
Sat Dec 24 14:26:00 EST 2016

On 12/24/2016 03:40 PM, Daniel Golle wrote:
> Hi!
>
> On Wed, Dec 21, 2016 at 08:13:00PM +0100, Jo-Philipp Wich wrote:
>> # Open questions
>>
>> - Are there any outstanding changes?
>>
>>   Is there important changes we should wait for before branching the
>>   release? Is there pending stuff in the staging trees which should
>>   absolutely go into the first release?
>
> I believe that all targets should at least use the new image building
> code to the point that we can nuke the old (sub-)target profiles.
>
> I've just now touched sunxi (backporting ~ 350 patches to get better
> support for H3 and thus the NanoPi NEO board) and there is quite a lot
> to do there:
>  - convert target/sunxi/image/Makefile to new style and clean up
>    board-naming mess, currently we got:
>    * profile name = U-Boot name (e.g. orangepi_plus)
>      This name is currently also used to name OpenWrt/LEDE images
>    * DTS filename (e.g. sun8i-h3-orangepi-plus)
>    * /proc/device-tree/model, /proc/device-tree/compatible
>    * sunxi_board_name() (e.g. organgepi-plus)
>    ## consistent board names are needed for future sysupgrade

Another thing I noticed when I thought about converting sunxi to the new
build code a while ago (which I never actually did) is that the uboot
dependency handling is a mess. The different uboot builds are declared as
target packages, which are then pulled in by the profiles; the actual
packages are empty (but still appear in opkg as installed), they only exist
to trigger copying uboot to KERNEL_BUILD_DIR...

Matthias