[LEDE-DEV] Release planning

Yousong Zhou yszhou4tech at gmail.com
Thu Dec 29 09:21:53 EST 2016

On 24 December 2016 at 22:40, Daniel Golle <daniel at makrotopia.org> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> On Wed, Dec 21, 2016 at 08:13:00PM +0100, Jo-Philipp Wich wrote:
>> # Open questions
>>
>> - Are there any outstanding changes?
>>
>>   Is there important changes we should wait for before branching the
>>   release? Is there pending stuff in the staging trees which should
>>   absolutely go into the first release?
>
> I believe that all targets should at least use the new image building
> code to the point that we can nuke the old (sub-)target profiles.
>
> I've just now touched sunxi (backporting ~ 350 patches to get better
> support for H3 and thus the NanoPi NEO board) and there is quite a lot
> to do there:
>  - convert target/sunxi/image/Makefile to new style and clean up
>    board-naming mess, currently we got:
>    * profile name = U-Boot name (e.g. orangepi_plus)
>      This name is currently also used to name OpenWrt/LEDE images
>    * DTS filename (e.g. sun8i-h3-orangepi-plus)
>    * /proc/device-tree/model, /proc/device-tree/compatible
>    * sunxi_board_name() (e.g. organgepi-plus)
>    ## consistent board names are needed for future sysupgrade
>
>  - rewrite SDcard generation to support dynamicly sized partitions
>    instead of hard-coding the rootfs size. probably it makes sense to
>    unify SDcard generation code from bcm2708, mxs, sunxi and other
>    platforms with similar requirements into a shared script.
>  - use single-partition rootfs-split like x86 does
>    => unlocks F2FS overlay and factory reset support
>
> For obvious reasons the sunxi target hasn't seen much love since the
> fork, and the same might apply for other targets which are maintained
> by OpenWrt/non-LEDE devs. With regard to the upcoming release, how
> should we deal with that situation?
> In the imho likely future re-merge of the LEDE and OpenWrt git trees,
> all remaining OpenWrt devs will be given commit access which will allow
> them to contribute and maintain things. However, I think we at least
> need a dead-line for that to happen or ship the LEDE release either
> without those targets or fix them up ourselves.
>
> Apparently we already got quite a lot of different sunxi boards here at
> the CCC in Hamburg, so maybe this could be a single evening
> joint-effort to lift the target to use state-of-the-art image
> generation and have the result tested on as much hardware as possible.

I am working on converting sunxi target to using new image generation
code.  The initial goal is just that preserving what the current code
does, i.e. making fix-sized sdcard images.

I'd like to add another type of image where we have read-only squashfs
rootfs and mkfs.ext4 remaining space at firstboot and using that ext4
fs as rw overlay.  This part may take a while to review and evolve
though and as such may not catch up with the release schedule.

Regards,
                yousong