Purpose of openwrt-devel?

Elliott Mitchell ehem+openwrt at m5p.com
Tue Mar 12 17:36:14 PDT 2024

Well, what purpose does the openwrt-devel mailing list serve?

As near as I can tell it looks suspiciously like it is a method to divert
developers from where everything is done.  There isn't too much review
activity.  Anything which does get a positive review tends to simply
disappear unless it is later resubmitted via GitHub.

According to https://openwrt.org/submitting-patches patch submission via
GitHub or the openwrt-devel mailing list can be done.  The amount of text
seems to suggest the mailing list is preferred.  Yet, can anyone cite a
single patch which was sent to the mailing list, reviewed positively and
brought into the main branch without resubmitting via GitHub?

Then there is technical discussion.

A rather serious problem with how kernel version changes are handled was
brought up.  This eventually lead to:
https://lists.openwrt.org/pipermail/openwrt-devel/2023-October/041672.html
Which seemed to gain a consensus of being the best solution to the
problem.

Due to this not being the easiest process to implement, I went and
created a script for automating the process:
https://lists.openwrt.org/pipermail/openwrt-devel/2024-February/042254.html
While some negotiation was expected, nothing has happened.  I was
expecting to need some adjustment to match other's development
environments, yet no problems have been found.

Yet now, 8a9273d51e simply throws the consensus in the garbage.  Why was
something which there was consensus on ignored?  Perhaps this mailing
list is now >99% ignored and people should no longer be directed here?

If action is taken quickly, the breakage in 8a9273d51e might be mostly
fixed.  Check out 71360660e6, use the script to do an update and check
out the result.  Then run `git merge --no-commit main` and then run
`git commit --amend`.  I *think* this should generate the correct
result (squashing two merge commits together, creating a 3-way merge).

Yet in the end, does this mailing list continue to serve any purpose
what-so-ever?  Perhaps I should just give up and opt for Alpine instead.

 \BS (    |         ehem+sigmsg at m5p.com  PGP 87145445         |    )   /
8A19\___\_|_/58D2 7E3D DDF4 7BA6 <-PGP-> 41D1 B375 37D0 8714\_|_/___/5445