realtek target needs help

Tim Small tim at seoss.co.uk
Tue Aug 6 10:12:08 PDT 2024

In the past, I've done some very minor work to add support for some
Realtek switch variants (not merged as-yet).

If anyone would like to get involved with this, it might be worth
looking for a used HP 1920-24G switch.  This has good support in OpenWrt
23.05, reasonable storage, lowish power usage (for a 24 port gigabit
switch with an additional 4 SFP ports), is fanless, includes an external
serial console port (RS232 with "Cisco" type pinout on an 8P8C
connector), and the hardware also includes a lifetime warranty.  When
looking for online auctions etc. the following are useful search terms
(the switch was sold under both the HP and HPE brands):

HP 1920-24G
HPE 1920-24G
JG924A

... check for "JG924A" printed on the front panel to ensure it's the
correct model.

Used prices in the UK are under GBP 30 including shipping (that's circa
Euro 35 or USD 38).

Third party Cisco pinout RS232 to USB serial console adapters are under
GBP 10 if you don't already have suitable hardware.

I'm away from the location where I have my hardware for the next 3 weeks
or so, so won't be able to help out with anything for a while unfortunately.

Cheers,

Tim.

On 03/08/2024 13:15, Hauke Mehrtens wrote:
> The realtek target supporting the Realtek switches is the only target in
> OpenWrt main still on Linux kernel 5.15, all other targets are at least
> on kernel 6.1, most of them are on Linux kernel 6.6.
>
> The next OpenWrt major release will use kernel 6.6 only, all targets not
> migrated to kernel 6.6 will get removed from OpenWrt before branching.
> Looking at the status of OpenWrt main branch we will probably branch in
> the next 2 months.
>
> Here is the overview of the Linux kernel 6.6 migration status:
> https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/issues/15192
>
> There is a pull request to drop the realtek target from OpenWrt main:
> https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/pull/16052
>
> A migration of the realtek target to Linux kernel 6.1 was started here:
> https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/pull/12726
>
> Hauke

South East Open Source Solutions Limited
Registered in England and Wales with company number 06134732.
Registered Office: 2 Powell Gardens, Redhill, Surrey, RH1 1TQ
VAT number: 900 6633 53  http://seoss.co.uk/ +44-(0)1273-808309