[REQUEST] Review changes for new nvmem patch for dynamic partition

Christian Marangi ansuelsmth at gmail.com
Wed Jun 29 12:37:43 PDT 2022

On Wed, Jun 29, 2022 at 09:32:14PM +0200, Sven Eckelmann wrote:
> On Wednesday, 29 June 2022 18:33:53 CEST Christian Marangi wrote:
> [...]
> > A node name change is required for the new patch to work. Since we are
> > not aware of device that use cmdline as partition parser, I converted
> > each device that use nvmem-cells to the new format.
>
> I am not 100% if you reference here the mtdparts from cmdline or something
> else. If the former is the case then please perform a
> "git grep 'partitions are passed via bootloader'".

Problem is that it's not that easy... I notice that comment on some
ipq40xx dts but many ath79 device have fixed-partition defined and still
use cmdlinepart with no comments about it... guess how we discovered that
when the nvmem migration was done.

> But I am currently not 100% sure why cmdline is so special here.

cmdline is so special because it does have priority against any parser.
We had a hack patch to support nvmem with device that used cmdlinepart
but this is now dropped as we have an upstream solution.

--
	Ansuel