Query regd. rw rootfs

Sebastian Moeller moeller0 at gmx.de
Thu Jun 16 04:47:41 PDT 2022

Not that I would know, being a user not a developer....

> On Jun 16, 2022, at 13:33, Ravi Paluri (QUIC) <quic_rpaluri at quicinc.com> wrote:
>
> Hi jo,
>
>>> it is not the same. There is no special handling for specific overlay file paths in procd.
>   If the behavior is not same, can you let me know how "below" is handled/taken care in OpenWRT?
>   "changes made to sensitive files for e.g. /etc/passwd (deleting a line. Deleting passwd file etc.) will have adverse impact on security and some init scripts may not start etc."

	How can you implement user-changeable passwords without actually changing /etc/passwd in a way that "survives" a reboot? And similar for all other configuration changes that are expected by the user to be persistent... Yes, this probably means a user with root and or physical access to a router will likely be able to brick it and compromise its security (e.g. by unfortunate configuration changes or installation of insecure software packages). I guess what I am asking what is your threat model here?

Regards
	Sebastian