Support for Google Onhub devices

Thomas Deselaers deselaers at gmail.com
Wed Jan 12 08:40:04 PST 2022

Hey folks,

I have an Onhub router and some Google Wifi repeaters. Google recently
announced that they are going to shut down the support for Onhub
(effectively bricking them) by end of 2022.

I have done a bit of research and it seems like there was some
preliminary support for OpenWRT on these devices at some point. I
guess there will be a lot of Onhubs that would be pretty good OpenwRT
routers in about a year - which otherwise, are probably going to the
trash.

While I am a developer, I have only very little openWRT experience and
I have been wondering what it would take to bring up support for these
devices.

Cheers,
Thomas