[RFT] Kernels for next release

Alexey Brodkin Alexey.Brodkin at synopsys.com
Mon Jan 10 10:30:22 PST 2022

Hi Paul, Hauke,

> > I would be fine to remove the arc770 and the ipq807x targets.
>
> I removed ipq807x for now, arc770 should receive a patch within the next days.

Well, actually the original patch for ARC770 posted by Evgeniy some time ago is good.
I mean this one: https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/openwrt/patch/mailman.11570.1635883327.1923571.openwrt-devel@lists.openwrt.org/

A problem mentioned in the commit message is due to something in either glibc or
some other part of the toolchain, which causes problems in user space.
More gory details of that issue you may find here:
https://github.com/foss-for-synopsys-dwc-arc-processors/toolchain/issues/400

I'm not sure though when we have time to really look into it, as ARCompact ISA
(AKA ARCv1) is being deemphasized in favor to ARCv2 (ARC HS3x/4x) &
ARCv3 (ARC HS5x/6x) processors.

> > There is no hardware available on the consumer market supported by arc770 and I think archs38 is the successor anyway. If someone wants to add support for real hardware using ARC CPUs later it can be added again.
>
> Alexey could you please comment on this? Do you think it makes more sense to focus on archs38?

For a time being I'd propose to keep ARC770 as long as it builds since
there're quite some HW exist in the wild with these processors and from time
to time people appear asking about OpenWrt port for those devices...
Though I don't remember anybody contributing anything except us... so maybe
there's no interest in it in the community really. Then maybe mark ARC770 as
being obsolete/EOL'ed in OpenWrt as well and remove it in the next release cycle.

But given even building consumes resources you may want to get rid of this thing
right now. Then it's your call ;)

-Alexey