Release goals for 22.XX

Michael Richardson mcr at sandelman.ca
Thu Sep 30 10:59:51 PDT 2021

Rich Brown <richb.hanover at gmail.com> wrote:
    > - Having a firm feature freeze date decreases stress. If a particular
    > feature is done/substantially working, it goes in. If it's not quite
    > ready, it can skip this release, and get into the next release. (The
    > alternative is what I think happened with DSA. It was a big change:
    > there were a large number of problems that took a long time to iron
    > out. That kept pushing out the date...)

I think you are bang on here.
And it needs to be socially acceptable to skip.
And yet the release is the forcing function.

In order to get things sorted for things like DSA,  in an ideal world it
would be a choice of two different packages.  The safe one as the default,
and the unstable one as a patch.
Of course, that's hard to do for many things.

In working backwards on dates, identifying the things that might be a
problem and having a "developer beta" from an easily rebased branch
would help for stuff like DSA.