Flagship AX routers

John Crispin john at phrozen.org
Wed May 26 10:55:43 PDT 2021

the

On 26.05.21 18:44, Bjørn Mork wrote:
> Alberto Bursi <bobafetthotmail at gmail.com> writes:

>>> But there is no driver for that yet, right?  And for those of us who
>>> aren't familiar with these magic phy things: Does this mean that it
>>> currently works as a 1Gbit device only?  Or doesn't it work at all?
>> If you are talking of Aquantia multigigabit ethernet chipsets they
>> work fine in Linux, there is a upstream driver for x86 and ARM archs.
> I'm talking about the phy which is described as this in the DTS:
>
>          mdio: mdio-bus {
>                  #address-cells = <1>;
>                  #size-cells = <0>;
>
>                  ethernet-phy at 7 {
>                          /* Marvell AQRate AQR112W - no driver */
>                          compatible = "ethernet-phy-ieee802.3-c45";
>                          reg = <0x7>;
>                  };
>          };
>
> There is a mainline driver in drivers/net/phy/aquantia_main.c, but it
> doesn't support this chip (yet).  We have a patch in the layerscape
> target, but I don't know if the "W" is significant enough that it
> doesn't work:
>
>    target/linux/layerscape/patches-5.4/701-net-0331-drivers-net-phy-aquantia-enable-AQR112-and-AQR412.patch
>
> And it needs to move to generic in any case.
>
> Therefore the question...
>
>> I think someone even added the kmod for that (or the USB version of
>> them) in OpenWrt somewhat recently.
> I haven't followed this lately, but I seem to remember that the initial
> USB version was a mess of phy driver mixed into the usb device driver.
> Not sure that is true anymore.  But if it is, then it won't help much
> for this device which IIUC is a MT7622 SoC connected to an AQR112W phy

that ubnt 6-lr unit boots fine with HEAD and delivers good performance.
It is really hard to get hold of them right now in EU. I managed to get
one as "used" on ebay and after initial testing sent it off to Daniel
s.T. he can give it some loving care in regards to uboot. hoping to get
another one soonish.

the only caveate with that unit is that on 2G it uses the built in wmac
which is only HT.

     John