grub2-editenv: does depend since recently on liblzma

Dirk Neukirchen plntyk.lede at plntyk.name
Thu May 20 03:17:51 PDT 2021

Hello Florian

On 20.05.21 09:41, Florian Eckert wrote:
> What is your opinion on this or how can we solve this in another way?
> Or do you not have this problem?

liblzma detection is automatic  - so this seems to be some hidden error before / build environment related

disabling it is possible according to configure.ac

"LZMA" (liblzma -> USE_LIBLZMA, lzma.h) is used in grub util/mkimage.c

looking at grub code - lzma.h/liblzma from xz means "GRUB_COMPRESSION_XZ" / compress_kernel_xz

disabling it then prints

"Without liblzma (no support for XZ-compressed mips images) (explicitly disabled)"

-

afaik we do not support grub on MIPS; but --compress=xz  is also disabled by that so many cmdline defaults might not be working : (util/grub-mkimage.c)

Notice that grub contains an grub-core/lib/xzembed/xz.h for some other XZ functionality (grub-core/fs/squash4.c:    COMPRESSION_XZ = 4)

Attached the simple patch that is build-tested with:

CONFIG_TARGET_x86=y
CONFIG_TARGET_x86_generic=y
CONFIG_TARGET_x86_generic_DEVICE_generic=y
CONFIG_DEVEL=y
CONFIG_BUILD_LOG=y
CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL=y
# CONFIG_FEED_luci is not set
# CONFIG_FEED_packages is not set
# CONFIG_FEED_routing is not set
# CONFIG_FEED_telephony is not set
CONFIG_LINUX_5_10=y
CONFIG_PACKAGE_grub2-editenv=y
CONFIG_PACKAGE_kmod-mdio-devres=y
CONFIG_PACKAGE_liblzma=y
CONFIG_TESTING_KERNEL=y

no lzma error , lzma linkage  seems fine : checked compile.log for the disable msg + @build path the config.log

Feel free to add / modify etc

sry for strange formatting - thunderbird update currently messes with text-only settings that worked fine before

> Best regards
>
> Florian
>

> [1] https://git.openwrt.org/?p=openwrt/openwrt.git;a=commit;h=e74d81ece2e2932a4f370d8e6d180061a6a2c229
> [2] https://github.com/openwrt/packages/tree/master/utils/xz