Resize of ath79 / ZyXEL NBG6716 kernel partition

Alberto Bursi bobafetthotmail at gmail.com
Thu May 20 02:04:27 PDT 2021

On 20/05/21 10:18, Andre Valentin wrote:
> Hi!
>
>> The NBG6716 has recently been disabled because of size problems with the kernel partition.
>> I'm thinking about extending it to 8MB, shouldn't be a problem.
>>
>> But I'm afraid users will brick their device when doing a sysupgrade to the new flash layout.
>> First time / in upgrade case it must be installed via manufacturer webif or via bootloader.
>>
>> What do you propose in these cases?
>
> Please help me solve this problem. Or should I just commit a change for the device with a hint in the commit message?

Adrian has added a system to block sysupgrade and show a warning message
in the commit
"build: add DEVICE_COMPAT_VERSION and DEVICE_COMPAT_MESSAGE "
6867d86e085dd4a284c8ee8878839c9e77546f46
see it on Github
https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/commit/6867d86e085dd4a284c8ee8878839c9e77546f46

You can use that to give a warning to users when they try to sysupgrade.

-Alberto