opkg fails to install manually downloaded packages

Hannu Nyman hannu.nyman at iki.fi
Sun May 2 17:43:20 BST 2021

Sven Roederer kirjoitti 1.5.2021 klo 21.52:
> Am Samstag, 1. Mai 2021, 15:14:35 CEST schrieb Hannu Nyman:
>> Sven Roederer kirjoitti 30.4.2021 klo 22.43:
>>> Digging further I found installing online pulled librt in. Restarting from
>>> scratch ...
>>> Downloading librt and wall via wget and running `opkg *.ipk` - packages
>>> have been installed successfully.
>>>
>>> So the issue is obviously caused by resolving the dependencies which
>>> triggers the faulty message:
>>>
>>> Collected errors:
>>>    * pkg_hash_fetch_best_installation_candidate: Packages for wall found,
>>>    but
>>>
>>> incompatible with the architectures configured"
>>>
>>> Previous opkg-version gave a correct indication about missing
>>> dependencies.
>> Yeah, I think that the changes in last November(?) caused several different
>> errors to be grouped under that error message.
>>
> I made a build reverting opkg to "2020-08-31.cf44c2feb606" which restored the
> known behavior.
>> * satisfy_dependencies_for: Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for
> jupp-data:
>> *      jupp
> Which makes quite clear that some depending package is missing.
>
> Example opkg (v2020-08-31.cf44c2feb606 on openwrt-21.02.0-rc1)
>
> root at Ahof-Frieden05:~# opkg install -V2 /tmp/jupp-data_3.1.40-1_all.ipk
> opkg_conf_parse_file: Loading conf file /etc/opkg.conf.
> opkg_conf_parse_file: Loading conf file /etc/opkg/customfeeds.conf.
> opkg_conf_parse_file: Loading conf file /etc/opkg/distfeeds.conf.
> pkg_hash_load_feeds:
> pkg_hash_load_feeds:
> pkg_hash_load_status_files:
> pkg_info_preinstall_check: Updating file owner list.
> Installing jupp-data (3.1.40-1) to root...
> satisfy_dependencies_for: This could mean that your package list is out of
> date or that the packages
> mentioned above do not yet exist (try 'opkg update'). To proceed in spite
> of this problem try again with the '-force-depends' option.
> opkg_configure_packages: Configuring unpacked packages.
> opkg_configure_packages: Reordering packages before configuring them...
> Collected errors:
>   * satisfy_dependencies_for: Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for
> jupp-data:
>   *      jupp
>   * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package jupp-data.
> root at Ahof-Frieden05:~#

Sounds like a bug, but it should be named something like "Misleading opkg
catch-all error message 'incompatible architecture' "

Those opkg commits in October-November 2020 by Paul, Daniel & Baptiste made
lots of changes to the opkg dependency logic, and apparently the
"incompatible architecture" is now some kind of catch-all, which
catches/displays all kinds of errors too easily. At least:

* actual kernel version hash incompatibility plus temporary images/packages
buildbot mis-sync after package ABI version bumps (like iwinfo now in master)
* missing dependences due to missing package lists (due to "opkg update" not
done)

Earlier there actually was an "incompatible architecture" message that got
displayed if you tried mvebu package to x86 etc.. Apparently now that message
surfaces too easily.