compiling only packages that have patented functionality

Paul Spooren mail at aparcar.org
Wed Mar 17 16:19:52 GMT 2021

Mar 17, 2021 12:37:26 AM Alberto Bursi <bobafetthotmail at gmail.com>:

> I'm investigating about making an unofficial third party repository
> with OpenWrt (non-kmod) packages where patented functionality is
> enabled. For example ffmpeg from packages is missing some functionality
> in its "non-patented" form and most end users won't be able to just
> recompile from sources with that option enabled.
>
> Is there a non-hacky way to build only packages that are affected by
> the "patented functionality" switch in the build system?
>
> At the moment the only thing I can think about is a script that parses
> the package makefiles and compiles a list, and then builds only those
> packages with the SDK or buildroot.

The packages.git CI uses a little script to determine what packages
changes. I think that step could be trivially modified to find patent
packages.

Once you have the names, you could pass them to a GitHub action to
automatically compile and upload/store.

I briefly describe a setup here:
https://forum.openwrt.org/t/github-action-for-package-building-and-testing/91324