Please consider reverting autoconf-lean from toolchain

Hannu Nyman hannu.nyman at iki.fi
Mon Mar 1 14:54:27 GMT 2021

Apparently autoconf-lean, merged into the toolchain during last weekend,
causes problems with various packages at buildbot.

I am not sure if that is due to underlying problems in the specific failing
packages, or due to a wrong site config from autoconf-lean, but buildbot is
gradually hitting the problems as packages are built with faulty SDKs.

I suggest that the new autoconf-lean stuff is reverted until the failures are
understood better.

I have filed bug FS#3655 and earlieralso a packages issue as that was how I
found the issue in my own build.

There are several buildbot failure logs examples in the bug FS#3655.

At least ntfs-3g, rsync, nedata, and possibly also mac80211 and mwlwifi are
failing for some targets.
(not sure about mac80211 and mwlwifi failures' relation)

I reverted autoconf-lean from my buildhost and I was again able to build ntfs-3g.

Extract from bug FS#3655:

https://bugs.openwrt.org/index.php?do=details&task_id=3655&order=id&sort=desc

-------

autoconf-lean stuff from Felix was merged by Daniel a few days ago to master
with commits
https://git.openwrt.org/?p=openwrt/openwrt.git;a=commit;h=32c664ff02910bf39a3fbd5a5a4a8bff3191dd03Â
and
https://git.openwrt.org/?p=openwrt/openwrt.git;a=commit;h=f439e291304a93b982e912dc91b80ca950a594f3

That seems to cause buildhost-specific variation in the generated site config
files, and causes variating breakage from some packages.

I stumbled upon this on weekend with ntfs-3g, which suddenly does not compile
in my Ubuntu 20.10 in Virtualbox. I filed a bug about ntfs-3g to packages
feed, but this is more generic:
https://github.com/openwrt/packages/issues/14940

The same buildhost builds 21.02 without problems (and that is still pretty
identical to master regarding packages)

Reverting autoconf-lean commits fixes things for me.

There are now others with the same symptoms, based on responses to the
packages feed bug.

Buildbot is now meeting the same problem. At least ntfs-3g, rsync, nedata,
and possibly also mac80211 and mwlwifi are failing for some targets with some
buildhosts (with the new SDK).

E.g.
https://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/faillogs/aarch64_cortex-a72/packages/ntfs-3g/compile.txt