anyone here on the starlink beta? How's the bloat? other features?

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Sat Jan 2 12:39:29 EST 2021

I figure that getting the starlink terminal working at all
was a greater challenge than tackling the bufferbloat issue. I've long
worried of
course, that the mac layer on this thing was going to be very weird,
and since they were working with qca they'd end up burying everything
in the network offload processors, even though at present speeds the
cpu they are using is *loafing*, I'm not as optimistic as jon morton is as to
how easy the port of cake or fq_codel would be to their hardware as it
is variable bandwidth and thus needs bql-like backpressure.

Since there doesn't seem to be a gpl drop yet I don't know a lot more,
however there was a teardown of the hw and jim's posting and a start
at testing on reddit - the dslreports test was flawed in that ping did
not work at all....

https://www.reddit.com/r/Starlink/comments/k0dwon/starlink_and_bufferbloat_testing/

rate limiting with sqm works beautifully:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Starlink/comments/jxkef9/ahat_is_your_starlinks_bufferbloat_score/

and the starlink teardown was good:
https://www.reddit.com/r/hardware/comments/kchxl8/starlink_teardown_and_analysis/

So I  think that this hardware actually has fq_codel AND hw rate limiting
in it... and openwrt... But pure either algo is not the right thing
for a starlink up or downlink
which is variable rate.

It would of course be great if somehow we could get loud enough for
musk to tweet back or hire a few of us to help 'em get it right.... I
had a friend of mine send him a suitably inscribed copy of toke's
"bufferbloat and beyond" via interoffice mail... :) but finding someone
up there more focused on the terminal software itself would be better.
I mean low latency should be their bread and butter and while Im sad
that the early tests are dismal, I am pretty confident that ultimately
they will get it right.

Me, well, I live on a sailboat these days, and would realllllly like
to be using this service. And making it
way better, and adding cool features to the product.
--
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public
relations, for Mother Nature cannot be fooled" - Richard Feynman

dave at taht.net <Dave Täht> CTO, TekLibre, LLC Tel: 1-831-435-0729