ath79: sysupgrade format policy for ar71xx migrations

David Bauer mail at david-bauer.net
Sat Jan 2 09:22:38 EST 2021

Hi Sven,

sorry for the late reply.

Firs to fall, there is no real policy on that one, as OpenWrt itself does not
advertise support for cross-target upgrades. It might work, or it might not.

On 11/25/20 8:53 AM, Sven Eckelmann wrote:
> On Tuesday, 24 November 2020 08:58:04 CET Sven Eckelmann wrote:
> [...]
>> Now to the actual question:
>
> I will just add some extra info to the options shown below. Maybe it makes
> then more sense why I've added two gluon developers to the Cc.
>
>> What should the OpenMesh devices use as images for ath79:
>>
>> 1. CE01 factory + sysupgrade-tar (like the OpenMesh IPQ40xx devices)
>
> This would say this makes definitely sense for new devices. But in freifunk-
> gluon's context, this would mean that the autoupdater cannot automatically
> upgrade from ar71xx to ath79.

I don't have a great overview over the current situation, but as much as i would
like to avoid having to push a pre-ath79 upgrade firmware with integrated per-device
upgrade paths, i think we can hardly avoid having to do such a thing, the alternative
being to EOL said boards.

In this specific case, adding a second sysupgrade image (be it gluon-downstream) and using
this as a transition image for the older releases might work or would it? We might also
modify the autoupdater to first try fetching an image specific to the target the device is
currently running to provide an upgrade paths for both targets. What do you think?

Best wishes
David