Reduced throughput with mt7621 and DSA

Paul D newtwen at gmail.com
Mon Dec 20 11:12:22 PST 2021

I generalize, but this is a problem which affects a few devices in the
DSA bring-up.

Some platforms require some tinkering and tweaking, and perhaps input
from the chip-set manufacturer (or information from a datasheet of the
chip-set) if things are to improve.

DSA brings advantages and is the future: everyone is already committed.
OEMs have been laying low tho and just used older 2.x kernels which the
mfrs provided with the chip-sets originally to avoid this maintenance
themselves if at all possible.

You can have a look at PRs for other platforms and their protracted DSA
bring-ups on github.

e.g. for the qca8k switch chip, some of the lads have been moving mountains:

https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/pull/4036
https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/pull/4622
https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/pull/4828

This will give you an idea of the amount of work which may be necessary
to return performance to 19.x swconfig levels.

I don't dabble in mt7621, so cannot be of help there as to whether there
is something ongoing for those.