[uqmi] dms: add --get-operating-mode

Sergey Ryazanov ryazanov.s.a at gmail.com
Sun Dec 5 05:41:40 PST 2021

On Sun, Dec 5, 2021 at 3:32 PM Bjørn Mork <bjorn at mork.no> wrote:
> Sergey Ryazanov <ryazanov.s.a at gmail.com> writes:
>> I am, as an occasional user of an LTE modem, never faced a case when
>> the modem is unable to register with a network due to an unconfigured
>> APN. The most prominent fact is that no one else ever faced such case
>> for a 7 years of the uqmi existence. It looks like you either ran into
>> a very special operator, or you have a buggy modem that is recovered
>> via the airplane mode. It is also possible that I do not fully
>> understand your case.
>
> I agree that this is rare.  But I'm pretty sure it can happen.
>
> A more common case is that the modem picks some arbitrary previously
> used APN, e.g. profile #1. This will often be fine. But it can be really
> annoying when it isn't. For example becasue that profile was configured
> as IPv4 only and you want a dual-stack connection.

Should not a modem reestablish a bearer as soon as a user provides a
new APN along with the connect QMI command?

> So flight mode will sometimes be necessary when changing APN.

Just to make it clear. Should switching to the airplane mode be a part
of connection establishing procedure (i.e. qmi.sh script)? Or would it
be enough to have the mode switching command in the uqmi utility? So a
user will be able to manually toggle the airplane mode during the APN
reconfiguration.

> Just don't ever force it. We don't want to lose the ability to connect
> to more than one APN (although this probably isn't supported in uqmi yet
> since you can't setup QMAP).

Do not understand this phrase. How can the airplane mode break a
multi-bearer setup?

BTW, when you are talking about QMAP, did you mean utilizing the QMAP
demux module from the kernel as it is or implementing the WWAN
subsystem ops for the qmi_wwan module. In other words, did you mean
protocol or implementation?

--
Sergey