Best VSDL modem-router to target?

Torsten Duwe duwe at lst.de
Sat Dec 4 09:28:43 PST 2021

On Fri, 3 Dec 2021 23:13:17 +0100
Christian Lamparter <chunkeey at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 03/12/2021 22:21, Stefan Lippers-Hollmann wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > On 2021-12-03, Andrew Punch wrote:
> >> Spoke too soon Fritzbox 7490 has been discontinued. Might be able
> >> to get one from the US if I use the freight forwarder but I don't
> >> like my chances.

If you're living in (continental) Europe there still seem to be some
left: https://geizhals.de/a992918.html (this link won't age well ;)

> > The Fritz!Box 7490 is rather special, two SOCs on one board (lantiq
> > base, with an ath79 board dealing with the wireless on top and
> > special VLANs between them), while there has been progress to get
> > this working, it has never been merged (or submitted for potential
> > merging) to OpenWrt. (It's pretty complex, you'd need to build two
> > image, one lantiq, and a specially crafted initramfs image for
> > ath79, using a special configuration conduit between them, to
> > initialize and run the wireless on the ath79 SOC). Additionally
> > DECT and FXS of the AVM devices is not supported by OpenWrt (DECT
> > isn't at all, for FXS uses a different approach than other lantiq
> > devices).

I have a 3490 and a 7490 and have extracted a small patch set from
Andreas Böhler / Daniel Kestrel to run 21.02 on these. However I don't
need Wifi nor the DECT, so it's just for the basic DSL router
functionality. If there's interest I can post it here or maybe provide
the equivalent for the master branch.

	Torsten