Best VSDL modem-router to target?

Stefan Lippers-Hollmann s.l-h at gmx.de
Fri Dec 3 13:21:44 PST 2021

Hi

On 2021-12-03, Andrew Punch wrote:
> Spoke too soon Fritzbox 7490 has been discontinued. Might be able to
> get one from the US if I use the freight forwarder but I don't like my
> chances.

The Fritz!Box 7490 is rather special, two SOCs on one board (lantiq
base, with an ath79 board dealing with the wireless on top and special
VLANs between them), while there has been progress to get this working,
it has never been merged (or submitted for potential merging) to
OpenWrt. (It's pretty complex, you'd need to build two image, one
lantiq, and a specially crafted initramfs image for ath79, using a
special configuration conduit between them, to initialize and run the
wireless on the ath79 SOC). Additionally DECT and FXS of the AVM devices
is not supported by OpenWrt (DECT isn't at all, for FXS uses a different
approach than other lantiq devices).

Look at the https://openwrt.org/toh/bt/homehub_v5a - that's still
pretty much the best modem-router combination you can get (be aware
of the performance limits of lantiq vr9 and the supported profiles,
vectoring, but not super-vectoring) and find a different solution for
your phone requirements (ATA, VoIP-DECT base, etc.).

The forum has quite a lot of information about these devices and may
be better suited to guide you on your search.

Regards
	Stefan Lippers-Hollmann