opkg fails to install manually downloaded packages

Sven Roederer devel-sven at geroedel.de
Fri Apr 30 20:43:47 BST 2021

Am Freitag, 30. April 2021, 14:23:12 CEST schrieb Hannu Nyman:
> Sven Roederer kirjoitti 30.4.2021 klo 1.44:
> > Am Donnerstag, 29. April 2021, 01:54:34 CEST schrieb Sven Roederer:
> >> Using a freshly installed OpenWrt 21.02 fails to install a package that
> >> has
> >> been downloaded manually. I had seen this initially when using my own
> >> image
> >> where a package was missing. To fix I copied over with scp and wanted to
> >> install with 'opkg <package.ipk>'. It failed, complaining about
> >> incompatible arch. rebuilding my image via Imagebuilder made my image
> >> work.
> >>

> > Just did a check on master, which shows the same behavior.
>
> I wonder if your error is somehow specific to your settings, or some
> specific conditions.
>
> I tested, and I can install downloaded buildbot package .ipks just fine to
> my R7800, both with 21.02 and master, my own builds.
>

> WNDR3700v2 master:
>
> OpenWrt SNAPSHOT, r16599-43dad22025
>
>   -----------------------------------------------------
> root at router2:~# cd /tmp
> root at router2:/tmp#
> wgethttps://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/packages/mips_24kc/base/wall_2.
> 36.1-2_mips_24kc.ipk Downloading
> 'https://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/packages/mips_24kc/base/wall_2.36.
> 1-2_mips_24kc.ipk' Connecting to 2a01:4f8:251:321::2:443
> Writing to 'wall_2.36.1-2_mips_24kc.ipk'
> wall_2.36.1-2_mips_2 100% |*******************************| 10770   0:00:00
> ETA Download completed (10770 bytes)
> root at router2:/tmp# opkg install /tmp/wall_2.36.1-2_mips_24kc.ipk
> Installing wall (2.36.1-2) to root...
> Configuring wall.

fist obvious thing is that your code a 1 day older than my snapshot, but the
commits in between seem absolutely irrelevant.
One difference: you build your own image, I used the prebuilt from
downloads.openwrt.org.
Just defaulted my board again with firstboot and had the issue again...

Digging further I found installing online pulled librt in. Restarting from
scratch ...
Downloading librt and wall via wget and running `opkg *.ipk` - packages have
been installed successfully.

So the issue is obviously caused by resolving the dependencies which triggers
the faulty message:

Collected errors:
 * pkg_hash_fetch_best_installation_candidate: Packages for wall found, but
incompatible with the architectures configured"

Previous opkg-version gave a correct indication about missing dependencies.

@Hannu: can you reproduce the issue by installing a package that is
definitively missing a dependency?

Sven