Brokenness of the OpenWrt "packages" repo

Alberto Bursi bobafetthotmail at gmail.com
Mon Apr 26 20:58:23 BST 2021

On 26/04/21 16:01, Daniel Golle wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 26, 2021 at 03:28:22PM +0200, Enrico Mioso wrote:
>> ... I know you won't like this. But in the end, I guess D-Bus, glib2 and in the end all of MM dependencies will have to be incorporated in the core.
>>
>> A stac, of big big software, I know. But supporting 4G/5G in the end will required that.
>
> ModemManager is not the only way to use 4G/5G modems. You can use
> umbim or uqmi for most tasks.

In my experience their ability to handle device-specific bugs or "perks"
is limited, unless your modem is 100% perfect and never crashes ever and
can actually handle the autoreconnect on its own, you will end up in
situations where you need to just set up a script that pings Google and
reboots the router if network fails.

They also don's support a lot of new LTE features like band lock, band
aggregation and more, they are way too simple. I have bought a consumer
modem/router that is like 3 times faster while using the same type of
CAT6 modem due to band aggregation and the reconnect sequence if the
connection drops is very fast because I have set the only 2 LTE bands it
can use.

MM is so much better than that. But my main issue with MM is that both
maintainers (package and upstream MM maintainers) have not found a way
to integrate it well enough with OpenWrt's internals so that when the
modem disconnects there is nothing that notices this issue and nothing
that reacts to it. So I had to cobble together a script to do this
missing link, but it's far from a decent solution. (see the issue thread
I opened about this)

Hence why I eventually bought an actual self-contained modem with web
interface and all, it's just so much better speed and is less painful to
use.

-Alberto

Both projects are straight forward, well