lantiq: upstream Linux efforts

Martin Blumenstingl martin.blumenstingl at googlemail.com
Mon Apr 12 19:38:25 BST 2021

Hi Martin,

On Mon, Apr 12, 2021 at 11:59 AM Martin Schiller <ms at dev.tdt.de> wrote:
[...]
> >> This approach however only works when there are active contributors
> >> upstream.
> >> It brings the benefit of upstream code-reviews though - which in my
> >> experience improves the quality of the resulting code.
>
> I think there's quite a bit of work involved.
I don't expect that it'll be an easy task
in my opinion the first step is to reject new patches which are not
following this approach
then we need to work out how to clean up the remaining parts

> If you take for example the patch with the configurability of the LEDs
> on the phys:
> Hauke had already started one or more attempts to bring this upstream
> [1], but this was "rejected" with the reason that this belongs in the
> LED subsystem.
>
> Now I found an interesting solution on the mailing list, which
> implements this function as hw offloading of the netdev trigger. [2]
I think the original author abandoned this (unfortunately)
maybe there's not too many issues left with that series?

> Furthermore there are some patches for the target lantiq, which
> unfortunately don't contain any description and so we have to work out
> the deeper sense or necessity of this patch again.
yep, agreed.

Best regards,
Martin