OpenWrt 21.02-rc1

Mauro Mozzarelli mauro at ezplanet.org
Thu Apr 8 10:14:21 BST 2021

Hauke,

I have been using 21.02 for the last 4 weeks and I found 2 importants issues:

1) OpenVPN up/down: https://forum.openwrt.org/t/openwrt-21-02-openvpn-client-up-down-scripts-configuration-ignored/91126
There are proposed fixes, but I have not seen these yet in the latest 21.02 branch.
I question the value of the change introduced for openvpn hotplug, which is un-necessary given the existing native up/down options. The change introduces additional complexity, cost of maintenance (technical debt) and new possible points of failure just to reproduce an existing native openvpn function. The value added is therefore unclear. I would remove it altogether.

2) dsl_control [status|lucistat] was changed with dsl reporting removed https://forum.openwrt.org/t/openwrt-21-02-dsl-control/89962/22
I understand the reason behind this change. I had to write my own command line reporting and adapt batch data collection and router connectivity keepalive scripts that previously depended on dsl_control, but users who have dependencies on these removed command line features are likely to be impacted. My recommendation is that it should be documented (there is no documentation right now).
I wonder why backward compatibility was not considered as it would not be difficult to reproduce "status" and "lucistat" functionality.