Fate of kernel 4.19

Bas Mevissen abuse at basmevissen.nl
Fri Oct 9 08:48:30 EDT 2020

On 2020-10-09 14:19, Adrian Schmutzler wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> in master, we currently support kernels 5.4 and 4.19.
>
> All targets build with 5.4 by default,

In other words: 4.19 is no longer required.

> so 4.19 is just there and can
> theoretically be used for regression testing

In that case, one can retrieve the 4.19 files from just before the
removal.

> (if it still works).

Another argument for removal.

> However, since our last release used 4.14, 4.19 effectively is just an
> interim step that has never been "released".

So most likely, regressions can be tested against the maintained 4.14
with the userspace from master as well.

> Initially, my plan was to propose removing 4.19 during the RC stage of
> the next release.
>
> As the main effect of 4.19 at the moment seems to be that it's
> complicating patches/changes, though, I wonder whether that option to
> do regression testing is actually used by anyone, or whether it's just
> a theoretical thing that's completely superfluous, as nobody will do
> it anyway.
>
> Based on the response here, one might remove 4.19 even earlier then if
> nobody actually needs it anymore.
>
> Opinions? Is anybody still using 4.19 at least occasionally?

I think the only time to support 2 kernel versions in master is when in
transition with the targets.
Obviously, it would have been nice when 4.19 was actually used in a
release. Now it looks like it was wasted effort.
Maybe that is a lesson for the future to only put effort in kernels that
will be part of a maintained release.

> Best
>
> Adrian

Regards,