ath79: move 8/32 boards to tiny subtarget

Sven Roederer devel-sven at geroedel.de
Tue Oct 6 19:15:44 EDT 2020

Am Samstag, 3. Oktober 2020, 19:16:51 CEST schrieb Paul Oranje:
> > Op 21 sep. 2020, om 20:42 heeft Sven Roederer <devel-sven at geroedel.de> het
> > volgende geschreven:
> >
> > Fernando,
> >
> > I'm only talking on the boards having 32MB RAM. This includes 4MB / 8MB
> > flash boards.
> > I'm not having the 8/64 boards in mind. They are fine and should work for
> > some furture releases
>
> Would it be conceivable to differentiate TINY, or better LOW_MEM and
> SMALL_FLASH independently (TINY being a build subtarget), per release ?
>
> Ratio being that the demands on storage and memory grow with each release.
> So some device might in release 19.07 fall in the generic subtarget, but in
> 20.xx in TINY (and in 22.xx in SOURCE-ONLY).

Paul,

that sound very similar to my idea, right (support --> source-only --> drop)?
>From the RAM-restriction side, 4/32 and 8/32 are the same and should probably
not be treated very different. Even 8/32 gives the option to install more
packages I experienced a lot of OOM events running them in background.

In the mean time I tested moving the 8/32 to tiny and tweak the default-
kernel config to strip it down. This massively improved the stability of a
Ubiquity NSM5 already. It was sitting on my bench ideling and restarted at
least once a day, now it's up and running since some days.

Regarding differentiating low_ram and small_flash: Probably the profiles can
be used for this. But that's behind my knowledge.

Best Sven