A proposal of https certificate assignment system for luci

Michael Richardson mcr at sandelman.ca
Mon Oct 5 12:38:50 EDT 2020

Fernando Frediani <fhfrediani at gmail.com> wrote:
    > I am not sure click though certificate warning is that much of a
    > security issue in this context neither OpenWrt should have certificates
    > issued by default if I understood it correctly.

    > Most people accessing OpenWrt LuCI interface knows what it is and would
    > not find it strange to have to accept a self-signed certificate.  Also
    > OpenWrt devices mostly are accessible from internal and restricted
    > networks and not exposed to the Internet. Still if necessary it is
    > still possible to add its own valid certificate to it on those cases
    > where necessary.

So, let me invert your logic to explain the issue.

Because of the lack of certificates, and the hassle with click-through issues
with self-signed certificates, access to the OpenWRT LuCI interfaces are
restricted to people who know what it is.  Only highly trained people know
how to accept a self-signed certificate.

As a result, most devices are accessibly only from internal networks, and
usually never exposed to the Internet.  Default passwords remain unchanged,
and malware infected a vulnerable PC easily attacks the OpenWRT LuCI interface.