odhcp6c RENEW timeout issue leads to OOM/OOPS [Was: Re: QEMU x86/64 ubus issues ... ]

Petr Štetiar ynezz at true.cz
Thu Nov 26 03:58:36 EST 2020

Hi Hans,

I've tried to ping you on IRC few days ago as I've found some strange issue
with odhcp6c which leads to OOM/OOPS[1] (log with just the important parts).
It simply happens every time after about 10 hours for me when I boot the system
in QEMU and have LAN/WAN networks connected there.

It looks like that RENEW retry timeout is being decremented from 13060s down to
1s during those few hours, then it goes in the crazy loop and it seems to trash
the machine completely, sometimes OOMs, sometimes OOPS and reboots due to the
squashfs issues.

Nothing is happening on that machine, I just boot it and then let it idle.

I've also uploaded complete unfiltered syslog[2] for you.  I'm able to
reproduce it easily, so happy to help test the fix.

This is on latest and greatest master, x86/64 in QEMU. Thanks!

1. http://sprunge.us/vv0Idx
2. http://ynezz.true.cz/openwrt/odhcp6c/syslog.log.gz

Cheers,

Petr