20.xx: state of the DSA

Georgi Valkov gvalkov at abv.bg
Fri Nov 20 03:29:47 EST 2020

> On Thu, Nov 19, 2020 at 8:37 PM Rosen Penev <rosenp at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Nov 19, 2020 at 4:40 PM Paul Spooren <mail at aparcar.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> DSA (Distributed Switch Architecture)[0] is a main feature of 20.xx and
>>> one of the last blockers for a branch. The goal states[1] support where
>>> possible, not necessarily every target.
>>>
>>> This mail thread should be used to get an overview of the missing bits.
>>>
>>> The following targets seem use `swconfig`, should/can they be ported?
>>> Please post states and links to work in progress migrations:
>>>
>>> * apm821xx/nand
>>> * ath25
>>> * ath79
>>> * bcm47xx
>>> * bcm53xx
>>> * bcm63xx
>>> * ipq40xx
>>> * ipq806x
>>> * kirkwood
>>> * lantiq/xrx200
>>> * lantiq/xway
>>> * lantiq/xway_legacy
>>> * mediatek
>> I believe mediatek exclusively uses DSA.
> I looked into this more:
>
> ~/d/o/t/linux (master)> git grep CONFIG_SWCONFIG=y
> apm821xx/nand/config-default:CONFIG_SWCONFIG=y
> ath25/config-5.4:CONFIG_SWCONFIG=y
> ath79/config-5.4:CONFIG_SWCONFIG=y
> bcm47xx/config-5.4:CONFIG_SWCONFIG=y
> bcm53xx/config-5.4:CONFIG_SWCONFIG=y
> bcm63xx/config-5.4:CONFIG_SWCONFIG=y
> ipq40xx/config-5.4:CONFIG_SWCONFIG=y
> ipq806x/config-5.4:CONFIG_SWCONFIG=y
> ipq807x/config-default:CONFIG_SWCONFIG=y
> lantiq/config-5.4:CONFIG_SWCONFIG=y
> mediatek/mt7622/config-5.4:CONFIG_SWCONFIG=y
> mediatek/mt7623/config-5.4:CONFIG_SWCONFIG=y
> mediatek/mt7629/config-5.4:CONFIG_SWCONFIG=y
> mpc85xx/config-5.4:CONFIG_SWCONFIG=y
> ramips/mt7620/config-5.4:CONFIG_SWCONFIG=y
> ramips/mt76x8/config-5.4:CONFIG_SWCONFIG=y
> ramips/rt288x/config-5.4:CONFIG_SWCONFIG=y
> ramips/rt305x/config-5.4:CONFIG_SWCONFIG=y
> ramips/rt3883/config-5.4:CONFIG_SWCONFIG=y
> rtl838x/config-5.4:CONFIG_SWCONFIG=y
> sunxi/config-5.4:CONFIG_SWCONFIG=y
>
> mt7628 seems to have DSA support upstream. kirkwood is not there.
>
> ath79/tiny/config-default:CONFIG_NET_DSA=y
> gemini/config-5.4:CONFIG_NET_DSA=y
> imx6/config-5.4:CONFIG_NET_DSA=y
> ipq806x/config-5.4:CONFIG_NET_DSA=y
> kirkwood/config-5.4:CONFIG_NET_DSA=y
> mediatek/mt7622/config-5.4:CONFIG_NET_DSA=y
> mediatek/mt7623/config-5.4:CONFIG_NET_DSA=y
> mvebu/config-5.4:CONFIG_NET_DSA=y
> octeon/config-5.4:CONFIG_NET_DSA=y
> ramips/mt7621/config-5.4:CONFIG_NET_DSA=y
> rtl838x/config-5.4:CONFIG_NET_DSA=y
>
> is the DSA stuff.
>
> Some of the swconfig targets can be ported. For example I remember
> using a DSA patch for a Netgear R7800.
>>> * mpc85xx
>>> * ramips/mt7620
>>> * ramips/mt76x8
>>> * ramips/rt288x
>>> * ramips/rt305x
>>> * ramips/rt3883

> [...]

I hope to see Port Mirroring and Switch configuration in LuCI
fully functional again when 20.x.x is released! We should be able to
configure each PHY and port, since WRT3200ACM and others have
multiple Ethernet interfaces. And it is more efficient to use all of them.
I’d rather have one mapped as wan and the other as lan in ifconfig,
like I currently have using swconfig. With an option on the
Switch configuration page, to split lan into lan1 lan2 lan3 lan4,
since multiple networks are less common.

It would be nice if LuCI can add, remove and rename interfaces as seen in ifconfig.
And also choose which PHY they map to.

Georgi Valkov